Answered By: Jonathan Puckett Last Updated: May 04, 2016 Views: 21
The library has twenty laptop computers available for use by currently enrolled students. These laptops may be checked out by students, but not faculty or staff. The computer is a Dell Latitude E5520 laptop, with battery, DVD drive, a recharger and cord, and a carrying case.
Students may also check out laptop computers for use within the library. Students do not have to meet all the requirements below to use laptops within the library.
Only Ivy Tech Northeast students who meet the following conditions may check out laptop computers:
- completed their first semester of classes,
- have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5,
- have a recommendation from an Ivy Tech Northeast faculty member in whose class they are currently enrolled,
- have no outstanding fines or overdue materials from the Ivy Tech Northeast library.
- students must present their current Ivy Tech ID card to check out laptops.
- Students will have to provide proof of their grade point average (they may log on to library computers to find and print their GPA) and a faculty recommendation every semester.
For Faculty--A member of the faculty needs to email library staff to tell them that he/she believes that the student is responsible and can be trusted with the computer. (The faculty member bears no financial responsibility if the laptop is damaged or is not returned.) Faculty should send their emails, from their Ivy Tech email accounts, to email@example.com.
The processes to both check out and return laptops takes 15--20 minutes, and students should be prepared to spend that much time at the library circulation desk while library staff complete each process.
Laptop computers cost more than books, so overdue and replacement fees for laptops are higher than for books. Laptops may be checked out for a maximum of two weeks. Students will be charged $4.00 per business hour for every hour the laptops are overdue, up to the replacement cost of approximately $750.00. Fines will be sent to the business office for collection, including replacement costs and processing fees. Laptops may not be renewed or checked out until the fine is paid. Laptops may be renewed one time if there is not a waiting list for computers, as long as the borrower has not had a late return more than once.
To see Ivy Tech Library's Borrower's Agreement for Laptop Computers click below: